Publishing comments

Advertise & RatesMy Account
Company press officeList company
Recruitment packagesSubmit job ad
Download ratecard
Tyler Spears
VW announces new MD
Hopefully Powels will be as successful at VW Brazil as his distant colleague Johan de Nysschen was at Audi America.
Posted on 27 Nov 2014 17:01
Dries Badenhorst
Dries Badenhorst
Email newsletters: Keep customers informed to get repeat business
Thank you Musa. Yup, as you say there is plenty opportunities now. The market is somewhat resistant to use this medium because they are irritated by promo mailers that they did not sign up for. Yet, if people want to hear from you - TALK THEM:-)
Posted on 27 Nov 2014 16:53
Lara Black
Lara Black
AdFocus Awards 2014: Twice as nice for Joe Public
Surprised that there wasn't more focus on the power of branded entertainment and the important of convergence in a global (and local) market where interruption-based advertising is dead. Gloo's Pete Case posted a great article on the subject earlier this week; and FM ran a feature last week on the massive change in viewership habits as the Web-ification of TV reaches its tipping point . Its time Ad awards reflect these changes and start recognising non-traditional agencies changing the landscape. The old adage, "Content is King" continues to be true, but its evolved to a point of becoming the most basic entry-point requirement if brands want to engage with consumers in ways that count - not only in likes and shares but in trial, loyalty and relationship.
Posted on 27 Nov 2014 16:22
Andrew White
The biggest stories of 2013, the worst of 2013 - and those that made us laugh
He was a great man he really kept the African countries in a state of unity. After his death the mutual cooperation of the African countries has literally died, the Ebola virus has claimed so many lives and still the countries are not cooperating properly to put an end to the epidemic. The afcon 2015 is being disowned by all the countries and no one is agreeing to host the mega event. If Nelson Mandela would have alive this sort of catastrophic could have been minimized.
Posted on 27 Nov 2014 16:18
Natalie Christy
Natalie Christy
[NewsMaker] Melissa Attree
Congrats Melissa!
Posted on 27 Nov 2014 09:38
Tiffany Markman
Tiffany Markman
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
Goodness, I'd forgotten how fantastic your writing is. Kudos for this beautiful phrase (which I intend to use/steal): 'some stand up, stand alone, stand proud originality'. And thanks for the lovely comment.
Posted on 27 Nov 2014 07:28
Jake M
Snake oil or genius?
Can I mention the elephant in the room? Its a very, very large elephant but it never seems to get a mention.
Here is where we are at after nearly 4 decades of the standard low-fat dietary guidelines:-

So who are really "brainwashed"? The people whose only response to the above appalling public health outcomes is "more of the same".
Or the people who sensibly recognise failure and look for solutions that might actually achieve results.

This lecture gives a good overview on how we got to this ridiculous place :-

Posted on 26 Nov 2014 23:26
Nigel Fox
Nigel Fox
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
As usual, Tiffany has got to the non-furry, overgrowth-removed, neatly trimmed truth of the matter. I'm not familiar with her waxing procedures, but I have witnessed her ruthless analysis of communications that fudge the essence of the brand. Bandwagon hijacking, concept borrowing, audience deceiving, lazy thinking, they all reveal the bankruptcy of the creative input. Good on yer, Tiffs, I hope the people who want to communicate hear your pleas for some stand up, stand alone, stand proud originality.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 19:21
Arthur Charles Van Wyk
Arthur Charles Van Wyk
[TrendTalk] Is social media all hype?
In 2012 I was involved in a rather sad panel at Digital Edge Live(I was asked to argue against the very thing I make a living from) and every single point regarding social media was really a point about Facebook. The same held true for every question that was asked. Too many people think "facebook" when they think "social media". It's a curse.

Secondly, we the early adopters and practitioners have adopted this thing we call "digital marketing" when in fact it has always just been marketing with digital as another platform/channel/medium (like OOH and print media). Digital just offered better marketing track-and-measurability. So it's still just marketing. Using digital tools.

On the social media front, I recorded a little video (http://youtu.be/grvtpAYdpws) not so long ago that speaks to this obsession with Facebook and Twitter. Social media should not be a one or two channel thing. If you want to use social media optimally for marketing, you should firstly have a strategy and secondly use multiple platforms - not just Facebook and Twitter.

Lastly. I can affirm that social media is a marketing channel that works. In 2013 we worked with a certain British TV channel sponsored motoring show and sold 3 times more tickets than the brief required us to - using FB, Twitter and BBM. And a large portion of those tickets were sold to speed freaks and illegal dragsters - a market that's almost impenetrable via conventional marketing tools.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 16:00
Tiffany Markman
Tiffany Markman
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
Thanks for the reply, Jacques. Don't worry. No offence taken. Neither at what you said, nor at Sorbet's billboard. I applaud agile, cheeky, bold advertising. And I dislike preciousness, verkramptheid and thin skin. BUT the execution of this idea was weak, and that's what annoyed me. Plus, I didn't like the copy. I guess I'm precious like that ;) Ciao.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 14:57
Jacques van den Bergh
Jacques van den Bergh
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
Tiffany, I take your point. Yes Sorbet should not have gone off-tone, they should not have used if, they should not have used FNB's property to market themselves BUT give Sorbet a break. They took a chance. They tried to give us some Nandos-type magic. They were being fun. When did we all become so thin-skinned and easily offended? Everything is analysed to death, and every marketing or PR mistake earns a relentless public hiding that is often disproportionate to the crime. I think it kills the spirit. And please, I am not having a dig at you. My comment is just the opinion of another pizza and pina colada lover about how we (myself included) beat others down to market our own services.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 14:49
Kevin Bassett
Kevin Bassett
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
Hey Tiff,
Thanks for explaining that one ... when I read it I didn't have a clue what was going on so I just drove on confused and ignored the whole message.
Marketers have also got to realise that when I am driving past a billboard at 60kmh I don't have time to decipher a message. KISS.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 14:41
bobby shabangu
bobby shabangu
Our industry needs a "Hellopeter"
But tell me Rolf, does Hello Peter have teeth? I think in order to trigger a speedy and effective response from companies you need to act like that guy who made a banner and placed it on a busy road.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 12:14
deborah philip
Benefits of using web design templates
First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks. Singapore VPN Service
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 09:51
Desiray Viney
Desiray Viney
Is CSI a farce or impactful?
I agree! Some corporates just don't have a real understanding of CSI - it's 'I' for investment not gifts! Real social issues like Health, Education, Skills development, Job creation and Citizenship all need investment for the long-term benefit of our society. We Corporate Communication specialists an assist you - that's what we do!
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 17:10
Musa Maswanganyi
Musa Maswanganyi
Email newsletters: Keep customers informed to get repeat business
Completely agree Dries. So many firms simply ignore this very simple yet powerful communication (and essentially, relationship) tool. With he silly season upon us, there's ample opportunity to stay within your client's mind, without the horrid awkward Christmas Eve call that may be a bit too invasive (no matter how good your intentions are). Timing is key, and since the Post Office is on a sabbatical, emails are an obvious choice.

- Musa "Shaunspeare" Maswanganyi.
Creative Director, Mustic Designs.
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 15:54
donna
Cloud's not just about hosting
Data security is definately a concern. We backup with a local online backup service: www.soteriabackup.co.za
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 12:37
gavin de Kock
Why not to ignore your personal brand
A very good article !